FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   RegistrerenRegistreren 

Backlighting Performance Line MIP
Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    flyengravity.com - build your own jetliner Forumindex -> Electronics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Dalavor

BerichtGeplaatst: Zo Okt 24, 2010 5:04 pm    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

Hi!

It seems that I have the same problem. I bought the backlight kit a week ago from you and there were no solder pads. So can I solder two wires directly in the holes or will I destroy the backlight panels this way?

Greetings,

Sebastian
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Engravity_Support
Site Admin

nl.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Zo Okt 24, 2010 8:41 pm    Onderwerp: backlight Reageren met citaat

you can...no problem at all.

please mind the polarity, although you wont destroy anything if you have it reverse. They just wont light.

12V max.

Stef
flightsimjunkie

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Nov 09, 2010 12:29 am    Onderwerp: Powering the backlighting of pcb panels Reageren met citaat

Just received my Capt/Ctr desktop panels and was looking at the backlight PCB panel upgrades. I see the two solder points on the rear of the panels. My question is, can I just use an old 12V wall adapter plug that I have laying around the house by clipping the single "plug" end and then strip the wires & solder the + & - wires onto the rear of the panels? Or, do you have to use the LED dimmer switch you decribed earlier in post for safety for yourself and PCB panel? If it is OK to use a 12V wall adapter, can you "daisy chain" the soldered wires in series in order to wire up all (Capt/Ctr) PCB panels from one plug adapter? Then when I'm done flying the sim or when I require no backlighting, I then just unplug the 12V wall adapter from the wall socket or power strip. What is everyone else doing, since there are no instructions included with these panel upgrades?
Terug naar boven
Engravity_Support
Site Admin

nl.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Nov 09, 2010 1:20 am    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

you can connect directly to a powersource, but make sure it is strong enough.

although a led dimmer is not neccesairy, its still a good idea to use one.
It adds more realism and when using more than one, you can adjust the brightness of the captain and first officer independently of eachother just like in the real 737.

led dimmers can be found on ebay for just a few euro's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Bulb-Dimmer-Adjustable-Brightness-Controller-DC-12V-/190456642646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5819bc56

Theres not much to be added for a manual. 2 solder points, polarity is shown on the panel.
flightsimjunkie

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Nov 09, 2010 5:39 am    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

Thanks for reply. I got home and found an extra 12V DC adapter I had from some other electronic parts I had laying around. Quickly clipped of the plug, stripped the wires and placed the wires into the small solder holes in the back of the board, plugged it into the wall and it lit up nicely, albeit a little bright, but for now I hope it will work. The adapter I have is a: Class 2 power supply; Input: 120V AC, 60 Hz, 25W; Output: 12V DC, 1.0A. It lit up good with no sparks, smoke, melted parts, etc.... so I am guessing this is OK to use safely with no harm to myself or the boards, and ok to wire all the Capt/Center backlight PCB panels off that one power supply. I am no electrician so that's why I am making sure before I solder anything permanently to the panels. Ultimately, I may add a switch inline with the output wires and use the switch to turn backlighting on/off instead of unplugging from the wall socket every time. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Terug naar boven
Engravity_Support
Site Admin

nl.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

I would use 2 of the dimmers i linked to on ebay.

They are very cheap and work perfectly. If you use 2 you can adjust the brightness of the captains and first officers side independently.

Stef
andthiel

de.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Jan 02, 2014 10:12 am    Onderwerp: Connecting backlit panels with PCBs Reageren met citaat

Hi Stef,

I am now in the final setup of my MIP and I have read in this forum that there are "crimped connectors" available in order to connect the backlit panels with the CPFlight PCBs.

Unfortunately, I did not receive these connectors when I got the panels from Engravity some time ago.

Can you help me out, please?

Best regards,

Andreas
sean377
Flight Lieutenant

gb.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Jan 02, 2014 2:42 pm    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

Hi Andreas, Happy New Year.

Assuming you are referring to the CPFlight MIP737 board, this has nothing to do with the backlit panels. The panels are connected directly to a 12v DC power source that you must provide.

As Stef has suggested, for added realism, run the power through a dimmer connected to the correct knob on the lower sub panels.

Do your backlit panels have just 2 small blobs of solder marked + and - or is there 2 pins sticking out?

If it's the first, then you solder wires directly to the 'blobs', if it's the second, then you can buy the connectors from most electrical components stores, but you need to get the correct type or they won't fit. They cost pennies.

Sean
Terug naar boven
Engravity_Support
Site Admin

nl.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Jan 02, 2014 5:13 pm    Onderwerp: Re: Connecting backlit panels with PCBs Reageren met citaat

andthiel schreef:
Hi Stef,

I am now in the final setup of my MIP and I have read in this forum that there are "crimped connectors" available in order to connect the backlit panels with the CPFlight PCBs.

Unfortunately, I did not receive these connectors when I got the panels from Engravity some time ago.

Can you help me out, please?

Best regards,

Andreas

When you ordered seperate panels from us, they are shipped with pcb's with solder pads.

When you ordered the cpflight ics pcb's they should have come with 2 pin headers that connect to the ics interface.

Did you order seperate panels or a ICS set ?
andthiel

de.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Vr Jan 03, 2014 9:41 am    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

Hi Sean,

that's exactly my problem: I do have two 'blobs' both in the panel and in the PCBs (which I ordered later by Claudio/CPFlight in order to allow the connection with the lower panels).

Since both blobs are relatvely close and match with each other, I thought there would be a more professional solution than to connect them with two wires (I didn't want to solder wires into the blobs). That was when I read of those 'crimped connectors' in the forum.

Cheets, Andreas
Engravity_Support
Site Admin

nl.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Vr Jan 03, 2014 10:29 am    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

andthiel schreef:

that's exactly my problem: I do have two 'blobs' both in the panel and in the PCBs (which I ordered later by Claudio/CPFlight in order to allow the connection with the lower panels).

And there is the origin of your problem: you dont have matching products.
Usually ICS is sold as a plug&play assembled product (lightplate, backplate and ICS interface are pre-assembled and can be fixed to the mip mountingframe as a module).

ICS lightplates have a 2 pin header and the ICS interface PCB has a 2 pin female socket (small plastic block with 2 holes). When using a matching backpanel, these are alligned and the 2 pin header should slip into the female socket.

You however have previously ordered the EPB lichtplates and later the ICS interface (from what i understand above only the lower subpanels ? You allready have the ICS MIP part ?).

EBP panels dont have the 2 pin header but 2 solder pads. Depending on how old they are, they can be retrofitted with the header (there are pre ICS lightplates, that have the solder pads differently situated, but recent ones are the same).

Robert or claudio can supply you with the headers.

The ICS interface should have the sockets on te pcb.
andthiel

de.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Vr Jan 03, 2014 12:23 pm    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Now we come closer to what I am looking for: it's apparently not the 'crimped' connector but a 'header'.

Have you got a photo of such a header?

Cheers, Andreas
Engravity_Support
Site Admin

nl.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Za Jan 04, 2014 2:03 am    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

here's a picture of such header, the short end gets soldered in the lightplate pcb, the long end fits in the socket on the ics pcb

Here you see the pcb's from the lower subpanels (still not seperated).

On each panel you can find a small plastic block (few mm) with 2 holes in it.
The header fits in here.

and here you see a top view of the center mip panel with at the right the header coming from the lightplate into the ics main pcb.

andthiel

de.gif

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm    Onderwerp: Reageren met citaat

Thank you very much - this really helps.

Cheers,

Andreas
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    flyengravity.com - build your own jetliner Forumindex -> Electronics Tijden zijn in GMT + 2 uur
Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2
Pagina 2 van 2

Ga naar: